About Our Chapter

History and mission

The American Guild of Organists was founded in 1896, and is headquartered in New York City. It is an educational and service organization organized to advance the cause of organ and choral music, to elevate the status of church musicians, and to maintain standards of artistic excellence among organists and choral conductors.

The Twin Cities Chapter was organized in 1910 by George H. Fairclough as the Minnesota Chapter. Their first public program was held at the Church of St. John the Evangelist in St. Paul on March 15, 1911. Sometime between 1958 and 1959 the
Minnesota Chapter was reorganized as the Twin Cities Chapter.

Today the Twin Cities Chapter is composed of 345 church organists, choir directors, teachers, students, and organ builders in the Minneapolis-Saint Paul metropolitan area. Hosting regional and national conventions, the chapter is nationally renowned for leadership in worship with its wealth of fine musicians and instruments in the metropolitan area.

Additional Minnesota chapters have been organized in the Arrowhead,
southeastern, and south central regions.




Fairclough at the console of the Northrup Organ at the University of Minnesota wearing the robe of a Fellow of the AGO

© Twin Cities Chapter American Guild of Organists
Powered by Wild Apricot Membership Software